1. The keeping of poultry or animals other than those classified as family pets including dogs, cats and caged birds, shall be prohibited. No more than two dogs or two cats, or one dog and one cat shall be allowed per dwelling. This rule is based upon a deed restriction contained in Association Members’ property deeds. [See By-Laws, Schedule A, item 5.]
2. The Community Recreational Facilities are for the use of all Members and their guests, therefore, for health reasons, pets are NOT permitted in these areas, including, but limited to Community Center, pools, pool areas, swim areas of the lakes, beaches, tennis courts and picnic areas. Guide dogs are exempt from this rule and may guide their owner to any area.
3. Pets must be licensed and vaccinated against rabies as required by law in their State of Residency and while at Emerald Lakes, pets are subject to Pennsylvania State, Court and Local Laws, rules and regulations.
4. In Pennsylvania, it is unlawful:
(a) To keep or harbor any dog six months of age or older without a current Pennsylvania dog license (due on or before January 1st if a Pennsylvania resident).
(b) To allow your dog to run at large. All dogs must be kept under control. A fine of $200.00 will be issued if you do not abide by this rule. Owners are responsible for all damages caused by their animals.
(c) No animal is to be left outside unattended at any time.
(d) To place any poison or harmful substance in any place, on your property or elsewhere, where it may be easily found and eaten by domestic pets and/or wildlife.
(e) To abandon or attempt to abandon any pet. Fines for abandonment range from $300 to $1,000 plus court costs.
(f) To barter, trade, sell or transfer any pet under seven weeks old.
5. Pet owners must:
(a) Confine pets to owner’s property.
(b) Walk pets on a leash when off owner’s property. (For the protection of your pet while at Emerald Lakes, it is recommended that they wear an identification tag giving owner’s name, local address and local telephone number).
6. Disturbance of the Peace – It shall be a fineable offense to own, harbor or keep in custody any animal, which disturbs the peace by barking, howling or making other loud noises to the annoyance and discomfort of any person in Emerald Lakes. Continuous barking, howling, or the making of other loud noises by such animal for more than thirty (30) minutes shall be deemed to be disturbance of the peace.
7. Injury to Persons – It shall be unlawful for the owner of any pet to permit said animal to injure any person by biting, jumping on, knocking down or attacking said person.
8. Nuisances – No person owning, harboring, keeping or in charge of any dog shall cause, suffer or allow such dog to soil, defile, defecate on or commit any nuisance on any common thoroughfare, passageway, by-path, play area, park, beach or any place where people congregate or walk or on any public property whatsoever, including common roadways:
(a) The person who so curbs such dog shall immediately remove all feces deposited by the dog; and
(b) The feces removed shall be disposed of in a sanitary manner by the person owning, harboring, keeping or in charge of such a dog.
(c) 1st offense – warning; 2nd offense will result in a $100.00 fine; 3rd offense will be a $200.00 fine if you do not abide by these rules.
9. Property owners (Association Members) shall be held responsible for pets belonging to their Guests and/or Tenants.
A fine of $200.00 dollars will be issued to any homeowner who ties his dog outside in inclement weather or allows his dog to bark continually.