Category Archives: Senior Corner
Senior Corner – Octoberfest Buffet
POCONO MOUNTAIN SENIORS
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2012
Octoberfest Buffet at Woodloch Pines, Inc.
11:00 Arrival at The Inn
Complimentary Coffee, Tea & Homemade Sweet Breads
Beerwurst, Bloodwurst, Head Cheese, Hard Salami, Bologna, Liverwurst
Onions, Sliced Tomatoes, Cheese Chunks & Grape Bunches, Cucumber &
Onion Salad, Sliced Melon, Creamed & Plain Herring, Green & Black Olives,
Pickles, Fruited Jello Molds, Fruit Salad, Applesauce,Cole Slaw, Homemade
Grilled Bratwurst, Boiled Knockwurst on Rolls, Sauerbraten w/Gravy, Potato
Pancakes, Spaetzle, Red Cabbage, German Potato Salad, Sauerkraut, Honey
Sesame Roast Pork Tenderloin Carving Station
Warm Apple Strudel a la mode
1:30pm Boat Rides
2:15pm German Band & Dancing
12:00pm to 4:00pm Complimentary Beer & Wine
Total Cost Per Person $60.00
Deposite $25.00 Per Person Non Refundable
Deposite Due Sept 6 2012
Final Payment Oct 4 2012
Total Cost Includes Transportation & All Graturities
Contact Betty & Peter Stefura
Senior Corner – Safe Driving After 55
As we age, our insurance costs often increase, regardless of our driving record. To protect yourself and others on the road, and to keep your premiums down, PennDOT suggests you consider the following:
- Have regular eye and medical exams. Both near and distance vision is needed to drive safely. Also, know your medications. Some prescription and over-the-counter medications can make you drowsy and affect your driving.
- Consider, reducing driving at night, dusk or dawn. Visibility is more difficult at this time; aging eyes are more sensitive to bright light or glare. Try to avoid looking directly into headlights of approaching vehicles.
- Mirrors – make sure they are properly adjusted.
- Plan ahead and know your route. Try to stay on familiar roads.
- Avoid difficult driving conditions if at all possible. Rush hour, left turns, driving at night and driving in bad weather can make driving more complicated.
- Avoid distractions while driving, such as eating or cell phone use.
- ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SEAT BELTS
Under Pennsylvania law, you may be entitled to a discount (discount may vary per insurance company) on your auto insurance policy if youare 55 or older and have completed a driver improvement course approved by PennDOT.
The following organizations have approved courses:
- AAA – for info on class availability call your local chapter.
- AARP – We will be having a two day course in the fall (date/time TBA) for Emerald Lakes Members, contact Eileen at 570-643-2917 to sign up. For other locations and places call 888-227-7669 or write to AARP- Pennsylvania, 225 Market Street, Harrisburg, PA 17101.
- Seniors for Safe Driving – call for availability, 800-559-4880