Emerald Lakes Board of Directors Open Meeting, April 25, 2020
by Kathy Leslie-Whelan
Due to the Covid-19 and physical distancing there was no board meeting held in March. A virtual meeting utilizing Zoom was held in April. This meeting can be viewed on the official Emerald Lakes FaceBook page.
The meeting was called to order at 9:42 AM. All board members were present. Darryl Gamble, General Manager and Nicole Clemens, Assistant General Manager were also present. Buz Whelan started his President’s message asking if everyone was wearing pants. Whelan said we don’t have a flag but I think the shelf life on our February Pledge of Allegiance hasn’t run out yet. He stated that the meeting was being held in accordance with Robert’s Rules of Order except where local custom dictates otherwise and that the meeting was being recorded and archived. Whelan further thanked the membership for their cooperation and understanding during this pandemic. He also thanked the membership for passing the $200 annual dues increase. Direct proxy voting was used at this meeting with the votes coming in at 128 in favor and 108 against. Whelan stated that the money goes into the Association and doesn’t go to the board. Whelan stated that the ELA Newsletter hasn’t been out last month but he and Nicole will be working on a new issue this week. It should hit the kiosks by the mailboxes this weekend. Whelan also cautioned the membership to abide by the traffic rules by obeying the speed limits and stopping at the stop signs. A number of children are out on their bikes as well as many families walking. Whelan asked the board to start thinking of the Capital projects and how to prioritize them. He is hoping that the pass through can be completed as a priority while the Community Center is closed.
Bill Baehr, Treasurer, started his report with the Bar and Grill March numbers. This amenity did close mid-March so the numbers reflect the reduced hours. The Bar and Grill income was $1,826.33. Cost of supplies was at $2,712.21. Payroll and taxes $2,889.30. The cost to operate the Bar and Grill for the month of March was $3,775.18.
Code Enforcement Officer collections are currently at $91K YTD, while $60K was budgeted for the year. Public Safety is still under budget due to the open position. March Maintenance is currently within budget due to the mild winter and snow removal. Snow removal YTD is under budget, but that could change with a late spring snow storm. Refuse removal continues to show savings each month. Administrative payroll is currently over budget YTD by $20,653.99K.
Recreation and Amenities currently is over budget YTD by $12,758.90. which is due to March’s Bridge and Dam Maintenance expense of $28,333.22. Utilities are slightly over budget by $3,560.03 due to the increased electric cost of administration by $1,052.84 and the Community Center electric by $1,386.66. Propane cost at the Community Center was also over budget by $1,407.70
The total for March Receipts deposits was $116,127.32.
The total for Cash Disbursements for March was $214,567.
The Capital Expense for March was $51,833.62 which included the expense of $6,982.60 for the roof on the Community Center. Miscellaneous repairs was $44,850.62. Total March Expenses was $162,489.96. March Budget was for $149,307.25 which put us over budget by $13,182.71. Year to date expenses are still within the planned budget. Various rental income is still exceeding the planned budget by $55K. Dues collections are currently at 72%.
Delinquency collections are as follows for the month of March:
- Associate Collections $1,396
- Sunrise collections $ 23,386
- In house collections $69,625
- Special Payment Plan $9,029
- Attorney collections $ 670
TOTAL – $104,108
Delinquency collections are as follows YTD:
- Associate Collections $15,761
- Sunrise collections $ 99,031
- In house collections $998,178
- Special Payment Plan $86,476
- Attorney collections $ 90,366
TOTAL – $1,289,814
Bob Leon made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report. It was seconded by Dave Borsos and passed unanimously.
Under old business Whelan accepted a motion from Dave Borsos to accept February’s board minutes. It was seconded by Bob Leon and passed unanimously.
Under New Business:
- Darryl reported on three items. 1) What we are doing now. Staff have been working from home and alternating time at the Administration. Mike Ramos from Public Safety is in the office on a daily basis and is answering phones and responding to or forwarding messages. The membership was informed that it may take time to have dues payments posted to accounts. Multiple employees handle the process for regular payments. Checks are recorded and logged in daily. Checks are deposited once a week. The following week checks are posted to accounts. Since the volume of mail has increased, staff are coming into the office more frequently, all while physical distancing. The Compactor is running smoothly. The attendant is there but some people are getting too close. In some cases multiple people are getting out of their vehicles. The membership is cautioned not to operate the compactor. Currently all bills are being paid so we are current. 2) Contracts and projects are lined up for when we open. Contracts are in place for all summer activities. They include the pools, porta potties, the dehumidification system and the dams. The outdoor pool is scheduled to open up for Memorial day, however, it is subject to change based on Governor Wolf lifting the ban. The office is aware of the number of out of state license plates in the community. The membership have emailed and left messages of their concerns. All this information is recorded and is being investigated. Pictures were taken of the cars in the driveways. Fines will be issued for any short tern rental that did not follow the governor’s ban. 3) Road Maintenance cannot be done at this time. The Association cannot get the needed cold patch to repair pot holes. Also, physical distancing makes it difficult to put a team together. Currently there is limited service. Rocks are being put in the larger holes and the trash is being picked-up on the side of the roads. As soon as ban is lifted road work will commence. In addition, Gamble has applied for a grant. If approved, 20% will be able to be spent on items such as utilities, where the balance will go to staffing. Some of the maintenance staff have been deputized and are currently out patrolling. Our full time staff need the hours to maintain their health insurance. Currently the three part timers at the Community Center are furloughed and can collect partial unemployment. The branch/leaf drop off area is currently being prepared so the membership will be able to drop off these items at the compactor in the near future. The roof at the Community Center has had the leaks fixed and shingles replaced. As soon as the weather allows the rubber roof will be replaced.
- The 2020/2021 budget was adopted. Dave Borsos made the motion to adopt. It was seconded by Bob Leon. There was a roll call vote. Motion passed with 6 yeses and 0 nos. The budget is now available on ELA’s website. An email was sent out to the membership notifying them of the budget availability.
Bill Baehr offered his assistance to the Administration office since he has been furloughed for three months.
Bob Leon asked the membership to have patience with the office staff when it comes to checking on your dues check clearance.
Buz Whelan asked the board to put on their thinking hats in regards to the Annual Meeting in August. He also thanked Chris Claude for setting up the Zoom meeting.
No new members were welcomed to the Community.
Bob Leon made the motion to adjourn. It was seconded by Bill Baehr. Meeting adjourned at 10:38 AM.
Reporters Note: I write these reports based on notes taken during the meeting. I get no special consideration or cooperation from the board. I try my best to report accurately, but occasionally mistakes will be made. I invite correction and have no desire to intentionally mischaracterize any comments or actions.
Posted on April 27, 2020, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment