Emerald Lakes Board of Directors Open Meeting, December 12, 2020
by Kathy Leslie-Whelan
The meeting was called to order at 9:34 AM. Five board members were present. Treasurer Bill Baehr was absent and Vice President Chris Claude was detained. Claude joined the meet at 9:58 AM. General Manager Darryl Gamble and Assistant General Manager Nicole Clemens were also present. Following the pledge of allegiance, Dave Borsos, President, wished everyone a happy, healthy and safe Holiday season. He stated that this was the last meeting for the 2020 calendar year. He wished good health to all the residents and wished everyone joy and happiness in the new year.
Bob Leon made a motion to accept the November’s 2020 minutes. It was seconded by Steve Kavanagh and passed unanimously.
Dave Borsos gave the Treasurer’s report for Bill Baehr. He stated that for the month of October the Association operated within budget. Operating costs were $185K and are within budget. Receipt deposits were $264K. Code Enforcement Officer (CEO) collections were $58K year to date and are on track to exceed the budgeted amount. Public Safety citations were $3.9K. Compactor card revenues were $7.9K. Rental income was $29K. Reserve income was $17.9K. Current cash assets are $447K. Dues collections are currently at 69.18%. Dues collected for October were $84K. Income of dues to date are $952K which includes dues income, prior year’s dues, dues interest, dues late fees, payment plan income and collection fees. Delinquency collections year to date are $4.6 K under special plan collections, $145K under in house collections and $1K under attorney collections.
Bob Leon made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report. It was seconded by Steve Kavanagh and passed unanimously.
Under Old Business:
- Mini Dumpster ban resolution
Resolution # 01212-2020-01
Resolve that the Board of Directors approve ban on “mini dumpsters” as a trash disposal option for Emerald Lake residents. Please note that temporary dumpsters will be allowed for any new home construction or renovations to the home owner’s property. In addition, this regulation will be added to the Rules and Regulations document and will include a fine structure.
Under New Business.
- Non essential worker hours shall be 1/2 day on Thursday, and off on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for Christmas and New Year’s. The compactor will close at 1:00 PM on the Thursday eves and will open for normal business hours on Saturday. The Administration building will be opened on Sunday for photo ID’s only.
- Events currently happening are the toy drive at the compactor and Santa arriving and driving through the community on December 19th between the hours of 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM. the Pocono Summit Fire Department will be driving Santa. 300 goodie bags and 100 pop-up toys will be given out to the children on their route which is posted on the Emerald Lakes web page and the non official Emerald Lakes facebook page. There will be 4 stops that Santa will make. The first stop will be at the Emerald Lakes Estates: second stop will be the Community Center; third stop will be the Pine Tree Beach parking lot; fourth stop will be the outdoor pool; final stop is the Administration Building for anyone that missed the other stops. After 4:00 PM Public Safety will escort Santa to Blueberry Estates and the Birches.
- Mail issues with the delivery person who services the community. Many residents have complained of missing mail or mail delivered to the wrong address. Director Buz Whelan will visit the post master this week to discuss this issue.
- Board resolution #01212-2020-02 Resolve that the Board of Directors allow the addition to any property, within the Emerald Lakes Association, to add the recorded Covenants to their deeds and become a full member of the Association. Passed with a 5 to 0 vote.
Bob Leon stated according to Zillow this morning 16 homes are available for sale. (one home has been on the market for over a year; 15 have been on the market less than 70 days; 16 have been on the market for less than 40 days) 84 homes have sold this year.
Buz Whelan stated that the landlords on the Real Estate committee are in favor of noise detectors being a requirement for anyone who rents out their property. He also requested a workshop meeting in January to discuss the committee structure and procedure manual. This meeting will be held on January 9th of next year. It will begin at noon to avoid conflict with the Appeals Committee meeting earlier in the day. The open board meeting will be on January 23rd of next year.
Cookie Litwienski complimented Darryl Gamble on the holiday lights in the community.
Kathy Leslie Whelan stated that the Geminid Meteor shower will be at its peak on Sunday, December 13th.
Four (4) new members were welcomed to the Community.
Bob Leon made the motion to adjourn. It was seconded by Steve Kavanagh. Meeting adjourned at 10:35 AM.
Reporters Note: I write these reports based on notes taken during the meeting. I get no special consideration or cooperation from the board. I try my best to report accurately, but occasionally mistakes will be made. I invite correction and have no desire to intentionally mischaracterize any comments or actions.